Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thanksgiving Week Busyness

It has been a busy week around here at the Dixon household...well, for us anyway. We didn't have any family over or anything, but we had lots and lots of fun!
On Tuesday, I completed a project that I've been wanting to do for months now. I went to Lowes and, all by myself, picked a paint color for the front door. Simon and I had talked about what we wanted, but the decision in the end was all mine. I then came home and worked most of the day taping, sanding, cleaning, painting, waiting, and painting some more. We love our new front door.
Check out the before and afters...

The little bit of color on the door seems to add so much! Can't wait to paint the rest of the house.

And now for the few close-ups...I haven't put the kick plate back on, so that's the gross part on the bottom.
After all that excitement of painting, I was thrilled when Simon called from work to tell me that he had gotten a pair of Stars tickets for the game on Wednesday night. A man he works with had two extra tickets they weren't going to use, and Simon snatched them up. It wasn't until we got there that we realized that they were about 10 rows up, right behind Marti Turco! They were amazing seats. We felt so lucky to be there!





The most exciting part was scoring a goal in the last 45 seconds to tie it up.
We then went into overtime and it all ended with a shoot-out.

In the end, we lost the game, but it was so fun to watch! Neither Simon nor I had ever seen a shoot-out live before, so that was exciting and something new.

:(
When planning for the game, Simon suggested that we take the train in, rather than trying to drive in to Dallas and then have to deal with parking. I've taken the DART train many times and always enjoy it. However, when he told me that we were going to take the double-decker TRE train....I was as excited as a 6-year old boy! We got to ride on the upper level on the way to the game and back. It was so fun! I tried to contain myself so I didn't look like an idiot, but I loved every second!



That brings us to Thanksgiving day! Simon and I headed to my parents house about 10AM (a little early for Simon's taste) to help prepare dinner. When we arrived, my parents already had the turkey in the roasting pan...covered with BACON! They found the recipe in the newspaper and decided to try it. It was so moist and delicious! Who knew???
My mom and I worked on stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, rolls, and a few other things. (Pies were made the day before!) Overall, it was a truly successful and delicious dinner!

Simon got to carve the turkey!
I tried a new recipe for stuffing. It was made with sourdough bread and pancetta. It turned out really delicious!

It was just the five of us for dinner (mom, dad, Kyle, Simon, and myself) but we had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed the food!

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Sounds like fun! The food looks great!