Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A Little Nip Here and a Little Tuck There...

Happy October!
The last few months, Simon and I have managed to actually accomplish some things around the house. Here are some of my favorite:We bought the rod and hooks from IKEA. (Love that place!!!!) I was tired to having to store the oversized BBQ tools in the kitchen, so I found a way to keep them outside. It's great to have all the tools you need out there and ready to go, but not in the way at all!
Next, my amazing husband cleaned out the garage enough for both cars to fit. Now, you have to understand that for at least the last 6 months Simon had been saying that he was going to do this. I expressed disbelief at this possibility at every chance I could. Halfway through this project, I got tired and felt a little sick, so I went inside to lay down. He came in some time later and said he was tired too. He told me that he felt bad because he hadn't finished it, but would be able to some other day. Later that night, I went into the garage to find something and was shocked to find my car in there with his. I was shocked and amazed at his wonderful work. Thanks love!!!!

You may remember from a previous post that our front yard is on step 2 of a 100 step recovery program. Well, welcome to step 3! Simon spent hours on a ladder (despite his pretty severe fear of heights) with a chainsaw, hacking off branches of our tree. Then he spent another good hour cutting up the branches he cut down so he could drag them to the back of the house to be picked up. The tree still needs some trimming, but he did what he could. I'm just happy you can actually see the house numbers from the street now. Unfortunately, you can also see how badly the house needs to be painted. To be continued.....

And now....for my favorite recent home improvement project......

We found this mirror at a garage sale. They were asking $20, but I just kept thinking that it would look really great on our fireplace. We picked up the mirror and on the back it still had the Pier 1 sticker and a price tag of $99.99. Plus, it was the end of the sale so I figured we could get a pretty good deal. We ended up paying $15 for the mirror and walked away very happy.


The next day we bought some spray paint and I went to work. It was a lot of fun! I think spray paint might be my new favorite toy!!!

I peeled the tape and newspaper off and was so pleased with the result. The mirror has some slight imperfections, but up on the mantel no one will mind.


It will eventually be hung a little bit higher, but it's currently hung on the only nail up there. I love it!! I'm so proud of how it came out.
Guess it must be all that HGTV I've been watching. ;)

3 comments:

The Emericks said...

Look at the difference a woman's touch can make! The yard looks great! I love that you watch HGTV, cause so do I.

Amy said...

Caroline that is wonderful work. I'm going to sprsy paint some end tables and dresser for the girls, any tips?

Great job Simon on the garage!

Caroline said...

Amy-
It was my first real experience with spray paint. I just followed the directions on the can and hoped for the best. Slow even strokes. Not too close to the object. Let it dry and do a second thin coat. That seemed to work for me! Good luck!