Sunday, February 24, 2008

Star Wars Marathon and So Much More

That's right, this week I attended a Star Wars marathon. During this epic event, the first three (1,2, and 3) were shown back to back. Now, I must be honest...I arrived late and only saw the last 25-30 minutes of the first one. Then I left to go to another event and came back in time for the last 20 minutes of the second one. However, during this event, I, for the first time, viewed the third Star Wars movie, something about the Sith. I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed the movie. It was late and I was fighting to stay awake, but I made it and enjoyed it.
While I watched, I began pondering the greatness of Star Wars: where does the grandeur of the movie come from? Why are so many people such loyal followers? What is so great about Star Wars? I came up with a few answers to satisfy my questions. First, the greatness began when the first Star Wars movies came out in the eighties. At that point, the idea was novel and fascinating. Also, the graphics and other visual techniques used were new and wonderful. I believe that laid the foundation for the future greatness of the movies.
The other thought I had was about the constant battle between good and evil. This is a common theme in film and has been seen in literature since the beginning of time. The movie I watched last night dealt at length with the idea of one destined for greatness giving in to evil. Certainly this is an issue we all deal with on a daily basis. Actually, we recently discussed this in my Old Testament class. We were talking about the fall of David. I'm greatly concerned with this story, as it can just as easily be anyone of us. Star Wars resonates with so many because it shows us ourselves, with the possibility of various outcomes. We watch Star Wars to cheer on good and boo at evil.
So, the next time you're working to enjoy a nice quiet Star Wars movie, don't forget to consider the eternal battle between good and evil. Evaluate your own life and see who's winning: Obi-wan Kenobi or Anakin.

No comments: