Monday, June 22, 2009

The Greatest Surprise I will Ever Pull Off...

So, this past Thursday (June 18) was Simon's birthday. For about a month, I had been planning to visit him for the weekend....without him knowing. Obviously, I had to get a few people involved (rides from the airport, figuring out plans for the weekend, etc) and every person I told made me more and more nervous. I was sure that one of them would slip and he would find out. Also, I am a terrible liar and had to work really hard to convince him that I was so upset that I was going to miss his birthday. I lived in almost constant fear of saying something like, "My mom and I are planning to....this weekend" or "I talked to Kim about Saturday night and she said...." Thankfully, I made it and never let anything slip. I was still unsure about everyone else. I was a little afraid that Simon had found out and that he was still playing along for my sake.
So, Thursday morning, I drove down to Salt Lake and boarded a plane for Dallas. I texted Simon a nice "happy birthday" message (which could have easily been done from school) and headed on my way. Shortly after arriving in Dallas, I received a text from him saying that he was having a terrible day (on his birthday, no less!) and it was awful! I wanted to call him to reassure him but I'm pretty sure that would have given away the fact that I wasn't at school. So, I met up with Kim and we headed to Simon's office.
One of my other fears was that Simon would be in a long afternoon meeting and wouldn't be around to casully spot me. His desk looks out into the atrium in his building, so my plan was to walk up to the window and stand there until he spot me. I walked up and....no Simon! I looked into the office and finally spotted him in his boss's office with a few others. There was another guy standing between him and I, totally blocking his view. I stood patiently, debated going to the water fountain and coming back, and moved around to attract a little more attention. Finally, someone else walked by a few times and, I guess, mentioned to the people in the office that they had a "fan" at the window. After a couple of mentions, the guy between Simon and I finally moved and he saw the person in the window. I watched as his face went from total confusion, to utter shock, to finally relief. He came out and gave me a ginormous hug. He was shocked and dazed. Even 15 minutes later, he was unable to express himself in words and complete sentences.
I was utterly thrilled with the success of the surprise. We had a wonderful weekend together, celebrating his birthday and father's day with both of our families, hanging out with friends, and just being together. I love that man! When we're together, it's a wonderful thing.

1 comment:

Amy said...

ahh that sounds like it was so much fun. great job keeping the secret!